Monday, May 11, 2020

STAY HOME - CHIFFON, CHIFFON CAKES


I think I made 5 Chiffon Cakes in the month of April.  I shared most of them away - just to have a good reason to drive out for contactless delivery.
I love taking pictures of meringue each time I make chiffon cake.
By-the-way, all my chiffon cakes are without baking powder.  It all depends on the well beaten meringue.  All chiffon cakes recipes are in the previous blog.
From time to time, I test substituting COCONUT Milk with regular milk, low-fat milk.  Sometimes I put less organic avocado oil.  The avocado oil is the best vegetable oil I think in the cake.  It has no take-over flavor of its own like the extra virgin olive oil.  I've used Wesson's vegetable oil many years ago, it's not that bad either.  But I've change mostly to organic oil, organic sugar, etc, as much as possible.  Pandan leaves are extracted and were kept in the freezer.  They are defrosted and used.  I do not add GREEN Food color to make the cake look all so nice and green.  And whenever I can, I grate or process and make my own coconut milk... but I find it hard because I end up eating the 'young' coconut.  But, it is possible to do so from the old brown hairy coconut you buy from the store.   Otherwise, buy a canned coconut cream or milk to test with.
Sometimes, I use 9 oz precooked and strained KABOCHA (Japanese pumpkin) in place of coconut milk or pandan liquid.   Please check previous blog for the recipe ratio.
I've also tested with Kale powder, but that particular blog showed my miscalculations in the mixture. That one turned out dense or collapsed cake.  Since then, I've tested a couple of times later with some modifications, and it turned out great.  It's just like a science lab in the kitchen.

Previous blog for recipe found at: https://rockdavinci.blogspot.com/2014/10/kabocha-chiffon-cake.html
https://rockdavinci.blogspot.com/2013/07/pandan-coconut-chiffon-cake-and-my-new.html
https://rockdavinci.blogspot.com/2010/08/pandan-chiffon-cake-ii.html
https://rockdavinci.blogspot.com/2010/08/pandan-chiffon-cake-adventure.html
http://cornercafe.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/pandan-chiffon-cake/#comment-1635 - except that for my oven and flour type I have, I use 160 g of flourand No baking powder.

This particular photo journal is Kabocha Chiffon's.
The mixing technique I have been testing is "swirl mixing."  When you mix the meringue into egg yolk batter that contain all other ingredients, Swirl in the meringue into the batter at the top level as though you are cooking a SHABU SHABU.  
Each time you add 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter, repeat the swirl process, then, use the spatula to fold under a couple of time, then, repeat the swirl mixing of the meringue at the top level again.


Using a very thin, pointing serrated knife, release the cake all around the cake pan and from the center "core". 
 *I will test and see the next time, if the regular thin knife without serrated teeth would result in smoother nicer looking cake exterior.
Turn the cake pan right side up.  *Picture is not here.
Insert a very thin pointy knife touching the center 'core' of the chiffon baking pan, turn and slide the pan bottom and knife until completing the full circle turn.
Cover the top of the cake with a plate.  I used a large paper plate and revert the cake pan and to catch the cake.
Remove the cake pan bottom.
The cake airy light.
 Slice and enjoy!  Woops!  don't forget to use the serrated knife to slice in sawing motion.
DO NOT Slice Down the knife.  Unless you want a squashed cake.
 Decorate or serve as is or top with whip cream.
This one below got coconut cream, etc.
Can't use up all the coconut cream, so I froze them for the next use.
 Smash and let them melt.
 Whip up the meringue till stiff peak forms.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next one is with Less Oil and a bit different technique.  Beating egg yolk up with sugar first till pale, then, added all the ingredients in.  The result?  Not much difference for the effort.
Added oil, milk, pandan, flour.
 Meringue.
Add some meringue to the egg yolk batter and make the batter lighter before adding ore meringue.
 After cooling completely upside down.   You can see the chiffon cake has risen at least 2 inches *without the help of baking powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?