To Share, To Enjoy Life Together. Why not make the "Cooking Adventures" as part of family activities to share, explore, and appreciate the differences... Let's Rock together in the Home Kitchen Lab!
Monday, November 19, 2007
AMISH Friendship - Bread Diary
I was given a bag of Amish Friendship Starter about a month ago. I tried four different recipes thus far and these are the favorites:
1. Banana Bread
2. Bundt Pan Bread and Cup cake size bread with Raisin, Cinnamon, or plain dinner roll.
3. Coconut Mango Bread
4. Sour Dough Bread
Texture and Taste Results:
1. Banana Bread - Excellent. Cake like. Banana gave the bread the moisture without Instant pudding mix and Applesauce that the recipe calls for.
2. Bundt Pan Bread and Cup cake size bread with Raisin - So, So. Very Dense and Heavy Bread without Banana or Instant pudding mix and Applesauce. I t is very filling to last several hours.
3. Coconut Mango Bread - Very good. Tasty. Using Dehydrated Mango was a good idea. Coconut powder gave the bread the just right amount of flavor--just enough to wonder where are the coconut flakes.
4. Sour Dough Bread - Very good, but its more like Hawaiian sweet bread than the sour dough.
And here is the photo journal of how the Amish Friendship Sour Dough Bread was made.
Hot Dog buns or the home made submarine sandwich bread turned out very tasty.
Mixing the Starters with ingredients without using any "metal" utensils is one of the challenge. That means - no electric mixer; unless, you have a set of beaters made of "wood"?
After proofing the dough overnight --- till doubled in size; roll the dough into shape and let it rise again for another 8 hours.
Brush it with egg white and water wash before baking at 325 degrees for about15 to 20 minutes.
These are Sour Dough Breads, Cinnamon Rolls, Dinner Rolls - with raisin in the Bundt Mini-Muffin pan.
They turned out to be toooo dry. Likely need less time to bake them.
The best part of all these baking is that there are no preservatives. All ingredients uses were premium quality available - butter, organic milk, organic eggs.
The "Sour Dough Bread" turned out beautifully.
They tasted more like sweet bread than "Sour Dough".
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)