Saturday, July 31, 2010

Multi-Grains Wheat Sourdough Loaves

This is a delicious bread loaded with good grains for your health.   I learned this in my class, and since then, have tried it twice at home.  The recipe is from Bo Friberg's "The Professional Pastry Chef, Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry."  You can purchase this book from the Amazon.com. 
Ingredients have all the grain goodness of rolled oats, sunflower seeds, cracked wheat, rye flour. The recipe is quite involved with 2 to 3 weeks preparation for the starter (luckily, I have and used my babied and cultured starter for this recipe.)  Then, there is overnight prep for the grains; 24 hours for the fermented dough; then, the dough on the day of. But it is well worth the wait.
I just had a couple of slices, and they are delicious.
(double click on images to enlarge the image and view other comments on the images.)

All ingredients are eventually mixed together.  As this recipe formula is a full 'commercial' weight and yield that 's more than my Artisan mixer could handle, I kneaded the whole dough mixture by hands.  Kneading time - 20 minutes.
 
They deflated quite a bit when I inverted them out of the proofing onto the baking sheet.  My kitchen was so warm from baking the crumbled peach crostada that I let it rise too much before the baking. They doubled in size instead of the preferred time-and-half. The next time, for home oven baking, I need to remember to do the final proofing and baking in the same pan.  I know some home bread bakers out there have already achieved the artisan bread baking with least difficulty when it comes to transferring to a baking sheet without causing the dough to deflate much. (I still got a lot to learn.)  Upside is that the bread still turned out light and tasty. Instead of gaining the height, it widened. Good color. Good texture.


Posted by PicasaTotal Yield: approx 1lb 8 oz - 6 loaves  Froze 4 loaves for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?