Friday, October 15, 2010

Chewy - Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Every family has a favorite cookies in their cookie jar.  Mine has been empty for sometime.  After my last bottle of Cinnamon was used up last year, I was in search of the real cinnamon.  Sadly, including McCormick's cinnamon I purchased a few months ago was made from Cassia or the Saigon Cinnamon.  (I asked and they responded/confirmed via e-mail.)  So, what happened to the Cinnamon trees?  Did it get cleared off the land?  Not sure why our market / grocers are selling "Cassia" with high content of Coumarin - toxic to human when consumed in great amount.  Or maybe they are not aware because most of us are not aware of it either.  I hope some of you can pass it onto your friends about it, so we can get the true cinnamon, also called Ceylon cinnamon back to local grocery stores.  Check this info at:  http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm
So, I got hold of the true cinnamon from India, and decided to bake my favorite oatmeal cookies.  But I want it to be chewy.  The last few times I tried, as it seems that my cookie hands have disappeared with the cinnamon jar, I cannot find that ingredient ratio combination to make it work.  My office co-worker, he bakes a decent cookies, consistently.   But I like chewy.  Not cakey.
This time I succeeded.  With Good Cinnamon, it can't go wrong.

Chewy - Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
from Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies recipe under the Quaker's Oat's container lid

Ingredients:
1/2 lb - 2 sticks butter softened
1 C firmly pakced brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
* 2 Tbsp Vanilla Paste instead of 1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 C all purpose flour  ** I only used 1 C of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
3 C Quaker Oats, Old Fashioned, uncooked
* 1 C raisins - I like mine chopped

  1. Heat oven to 350'F
  2. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy *by hand  in a bowl.
  3. Add eggs and vanilla; *mix well
  4. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.
  5. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well.
  6. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.   ** I used 1 Tbsp cookie scoop and silicon baking mat and squash down with my palm.
  7. Bake 10 to 12 mintes or until golden brown   ** I baked 7 to 8-1/2 min and remove from the oven as soon as the edge shows the sign of browning.
  8. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
Makes about 4 dozen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?