Sunday, September 05, 2010

Hokkaido Milky Loaf by Bread Machine

So, it is already 2 am, Friday morning.  Just finished baking Pandan Chiffon Cake and mini-Pandan Chiffon Cake (recipe that came from this 6" paper baking tube pan, manufactured in Japan, $1.50); and MOCHI MOONCAKE with Taro Filling; I might as well wake up to the aroma of fresh baked bread, I thought.  It has been a couple of years since I last baked with my bread machine.  I needed bread, and I resisted buying the ready made ones from the grocery store, so, here I go.  I chose HOKKAIDO MILKY LOAF.  The challenge is to get my bread machine to "knead" long enough to form the needed gluten.  I decided to let it run through the 'Start' cycle's kneading process twice.  After the first kneading cycle, I knew I had to scrape the bowl well.  And, I am glad I did.  I turned it off.  Then, I reset to start the new cycle again.  And set the timer on to bake in 3 hours.  I woke up to the beautiful fragrance of baked bread.
Texture?  I think, if I had let it go through the cycle 4 times, then, it would have reached the lovely beautiful stranded texture known to Asian style bread.  But this suffice my need for now.  The next time, what I will do is pre-knead it by hand and then set in the bread machine to bake with the timer on.  Why pre-knead by hand?  I noticed my 300 kw Kitchen Aid mixer is not powerful enough and taking too long to knead the 4-5 cups flour dough to the desired consistency without the motor becoming too hot to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?