Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Polly's SHOYU RAMEN

I am quite hyped with the noodle experience last week, so I tried some of my own recipe.   And it turned out quite good.  Here is my photo journal of my SHOYU RAMEN.

 Almost all the Japanese RAMEN were sold as "package" deal, and could not find the fresh RAMEN all by itself.  I exchanged it with Fresh egg noodles (think cut).  This is usually the noodle you find in the wonton noodle soup.  But this would do, I thought.    Bring 6 cups of water to boil.  Add 1 TB of Bonita granules, 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, 1/4 tsp of WAKAME (dehydrated seaweed), 1 tsp of soy sauce.  Add various Japanese fish cakes, if you would like.  In my case, in the picture of the pot above, you see a "CHIKUWA" being cooked in the RAMEN soup base that I am making.
In a separate pot, bring water to boil.  I am improvising a deep fryer basket to hold my noodle during cooking.
Hard boil an egg for 12 min over medium high heat.  Stir the eggs around often.  Dump the hot water out and chill it under cold running water.  This will help in separating the egg shell easier.

Spread out the noodle carefully, artfully, and divide them into four.
Roll up the noodle and save the unused portions in a zip-lock bag and freeze them.
Add the noodle to the basket, and boil for 3 minutes.
Add the soup to a large serving bowl.
Bring up the noodle basket and allow to drain.
Transfer the cooked noodle into the serving bowl.
Garnish and serve with Japanese pickles or shredded dry seaweed or Japanese seven flavor chili powder - "SHICHIMI TOGARASHI."





4 comments:

  1. You are very creative with your noodle cooking. Your happy faced ramen looks very cute!

    Nice to know you via blogging. I'm now your latest follower of home kitchen lab.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Zoe. I think kitchen is wonderful lab place to test things out and hopefully we can eat them.... most of the time it's been successful enough to consume. (Crossing my fingers.) But even the best Chef has said, "You cannot please everyone, because there's so many likes and dislikes." But we do our best. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi..there's an award waiting for u at my blog..do come and grab it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?