Monday, August 17, 2020

Polly's Red Dragon Fruits Birthday Chiffon Cake

 For my mother's 93rd birthday, I thought I will try making the Red Dragon Fruits Chiffon Cake.

My anticipation of a busy weekend schedule was a bit off.  I baked the cake on Thursday.  I can tell the cake is pinky in color.  By Saturday, the beautiful pink crumb seem to have oxidized.  So, next time, I just have to wake up at 4 am, if I need to.

Ingredients are no different from Kabocha Chiffon Cake in previous post, except switch 9 oz Kabocha with 9 oz Puree'd frozen Red Dragon Fruits.

Prepare a full sheet cake  pan - line the bottom with parchment paper and both short ends.  
Double the recipe, if needed - 7 Large Eggs fills one large Angel Food Cake Mold.
 
Red Dragon Fruits Chiffon Cake Ingredients:
1.  7 Large Egg Yolks
2.  60 g Organic Cane Sugar
3.  9 oz Puree'd Frozen Dragon Fruits - Processed in NutriBullet
4.  50 ml Organic Avocado Oil
5.   1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
6.  80 ml Low Fat Lactose Free Milk
7.  160 g Shifted Flour          *NOTE:  No Baking Powder. 
 
7 Large Egg Whites and 110 g Organize Cane Sugar to make Meringue
 
Mix first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.  
Shift Flour into egg mixture.  Set Aside.
Beat 7 large egg whites - 3 min - low speed 4 - begins to foam, add some sugar tablespoon at a time while egg whites are whisked for 4 min at medium speed 6 - switch to speed 8 - 10 for 8 min. until stiff peak forms.
Add 1/3 C of the meringue into batter.  Whisk in the meringue at the top in circular motion till smooth.  Add another 1/3 C. Mix.  Transfer all batter into meringue bowl.  Fold meringue in till smooth.
Pour into cake mold.  Give several good pounds to release air bubbles from the batter.
Place in gas oven's Center Rack 3rd from the bottom notch.
Because this is baked in a flat sheet pan, it takes a shorter time to bake.  Bake for 33 min.  Check at 25 min with tester.  It's done when the tester comes out clean and beautifully browned.
Decorate anyway you wish.

 




If the batter looks lumpy, put it through strainer.

Then, Add Puree'd Dragon Fruit


I decided to beat with mixer as there are 14 Egg whites to beat. 

What I found out is that I had not been beating the egg whites at high enough speed to completely pick up the egg white that I saw at the bottom of the beater bowl a long time ago which caused me to doubt KitchenAid's beater head and bowl shape, and I have been making meringue by hands all these years to be sure.  Now I have a confidence that if I use speed 8 and 10, all egg whites are picked up and formed into meringue.  I hope it will be the same the next time.




Give several good pounds to release air bubbles in the batter.





Place parchment paper on back side of sheet pan, then, revert the cake out.  Peel the parchment paper off gently.  Cool Completely.  Cover with the sheet pan to keep from drying up.
* The top will sink down, but this is perfect for my purpose to hold cream and fruits.
Make Apricot  Napage - Double 4 oz Apricot Jam/Preserves cooked with 1 to 2 oz water = 8 oz Apricot Jam/Preserves cooked with 2 -3 oz water.  Put through Sieve.  Cool completely.  Brush onto cakes
Slice fresh banana -it should not feel soft, but all yellow. Decorate with Chantilly, fruits, etc.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?