Saturday, March 16, 2019

Chicken Pot Pies

Chicken Potpies are always heart warming during cold months.  I normally make my own puff pastry for the top crust, but I decided to test make regular pie dough if butter and Crisco oil.  I thought about using lard, but the commercial ones contain preservatives, and I don't have my own rendered lard in the kitchen.
Search for Chicken pot pie recipe in my blog or just use your own recipe.
My recipe is adapted from Alton Brown's Curry Chicken Pot Pie.  For topping crust, I tested missing butter and Crisco oil.  Very little Crisco oil.   1/2 stick butter and 2 Tbsp Crisco.
The result is pleasant light crust.  I knew the pie shell made with Crisco oil would turn out quite well but it's been a very long time since I used Crisco to make anything for health reasons.   But I guess "As you like it" could take precedent.
Make your favorite filling.  To make thick filling add roux.


 I didn't want to waste the dough, and extra crust - when turn out good is always yummy helps filling your tummy.  Brush with egg wash and bake.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?