Monday, October 08, 2018

Polly's Lemon Zucchini Cake with Fresh Cranberries

This zucchini cake has become one of my favorite healthy cake.  My promise to myself this year is to bake or cook by adding a little bit more nutrient than to just use plain white flour.  If you have already been doing that then, you got a head start to a healthy life.  And even though it says, "Lemon" zucchini, I didn't have enough fresh lemon from my mother's lemon tree, so I used orange zest and cranberries.  I normally zest lemon, lime, and oranges in summer when they are available.  Then, I package them tight in freezer ziplock bag.  I use them through out the year.
My mother gave me a few zucchini, and I didn't really know what to do. Zucchini is bland and is not a favorite of mine.
I came across this recipe at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10754/lemon-zucchini-bars/
Yes, the original recipe is titled "bars", but mine is so fluffy, I call it the cake.
INGREDIENTS I used for my cake are -
1-1/4 C  Organic cane sugar
3/4 C Avocado Oil 
3 eggs
2 Tbsp Orange Zest from my mom's orange tree - I did not find Lemon Zest in my freezer.
Instead of 1/4 C fresh Lemon Juice, I used 1 C Frozen Cranberries - this is fresh cranberries purchased when available, and being froze.   Boil 1 C frozen cranberries with 1/2 C sugar with 2 Tbsp water for 15 min or till mushy and liquid evaporated to 1/4 C and cooled.
1-3/4 C Grated Zucchini - Squeeze as much liquid out between palms of your hand or by placing them in the cheese cloth to squeeze.   (*for this recipe, I only had 1 C of zucchini)
2 C All-purpose flour
2 tsp Baking Powder without aluminum
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
I did not put nuts or use confectioner's sugar for decoration.
Preheat oven to 400'F about mid-way through you mixing the ingredients.  I don't like to heat up the house in summer time or waste energy if I can help it.
METHODS - Manually with hand whisk or use your favorite electric mixer
Beat eggs for 2 min using whisk, start adding sugar 1/4 C at a time.  Beat eggs and sugar until pale in color - this is how you give the cake the fine crumbs.  Add avocado oil, orange zest*/ Lemon zest
Shift flour, baking powder, baking soda three to four times.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?