Sunday, November 19, 2023

ADVENTURES IN KYUSHU ISLAND OF JAPAN - ONSEN SPA WONDERS - on the way to KAGOSHIMA Part 2 of 4

Adventures in KAGOSHIMA, KYUSHU
Driving down from Beppu, Kyushu to Kagoshima was a long drive.  Although I wanted to check out MIYAZAKI area, the complete adventure of 7 Hells of BEPPU hydrothermal formations took us full day and half to complete - unrushed leisure pace... but I think we could have hastened it a bit.   We left Beppu late afternoon around 3:30 pm hitting after work traffic jam.  Yep, they have traffic jam just as bad.  We arrived Kagoshima around 7:30 pm..  I wanted to stop by to view the wonderful TAKACHIHO Gorge in Miyazaki and even paddle the boat thru the gorge, visit some beautiful caves in the area - Udo Shrine, on the coast of Miyazaki south of Aoshima, etc. but that didn't happen, and they are in my next bucket list.  But we visited FUREN Limestone/Stalactite Cave, Usuki, Oita.  https://www.furen-shonyudo.com/  A beautiful limestone cave.  We almost thought the site was abandoned when we arrived, though.  We were the only car parked.  Nevertheless, we ventured in.  And here is my photo journal on it. 
Information desk at the visitor center showing mini rock formation through the cave.
The arrow to the left points to the "original" cave entrance discovered.  It is a spelunking size entrance.  I almost thought I had to craw in through there for a moment to get in.  The actual cave entrance is to the right.

This one is much larger entrance.
The cave maintained a cool temp.  I am glad I had my sweat jacket.



Although I have never gone through a cave without a group of 'tourist', this cave has some interesting formation.  These formations seem similar to the ons I've seen in the caves along the westcoast of USA..
Looking straight up.
Interesting formation.... kind of 'Alien'ish
Interesting, found mosss(?) growing in one of the rock.
I think this cave would be far more interesting if there is a volunteer docent that would take us down and explain the history of the cave. 
I will save to visit some other caves in the area for the "next" time.  It's time to move on down south.
Trees are always growing straight.... Cedar?
Beautiful scenery every way you turn your head.
Time for Rest area.  Hmm... interesting, this rest area has a mini market.  Oh, Yes! Found the Japanese Melon.  I wanted to taste it so badly... but did not have kitchen tools to slice nor plate, and doesn't look like it is fully ripe, either... okay, another for the next time.
Giant Chest Nuts in season.
Right outside the market is dry Salt Grill Fish on the stick.
I was told that you can eat the Entire fish from Tail to the Lips.
And I go
Ate this, too.  So far so good.  No problem with those spiky bones. 
And I ate it all!  Well, almost all.  I left the head part alone.
YOMOGI DANGO - MOCHI is always good to end the salty snack. 
Hello! SAIGO don.  One of the main reason why I came to Kyushu Adventure.  To dive into SAIGO don's history.
Found local map on the board.  Wow! there are so many things to see and do in the area.  But, that will be for next time, too.
Time to leave and move onto to MIYAZAKI and to KAGOSHIMA.
The sun is already set... Interesting.  They have all these police figurine as road block cone.
Interesting tart orange I picked up at the rest stop market.  "HEBEZU"
Finally arrived KAGOSHIMA late at time. Rested in ONSEN.  Then bed time.
Wake at 6 am. Morning view out of our bedroom 8th floor window.
New Adventure begins!  For now,  morning ONSEN. Then to breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?