Friday, June 09, 2023

SPRING 2023 - ROLLING THUNDER AND RAIN - HAPPY GARDEN

 It seems this year's rolling thunder and stormy rain brought all the nutrients the plants needed despite of the fact that all these rains caused flooding everywhere.  It brought some concerns to the water level of the levy that is about 100ft away from my home.  Luckily it passed by this time round.  The ground is saturated.  Fence post holes created during fence mending are quickly filled with ground water.  It took several days to a week before they subsided.  Plants in the garden seemed to be drowning.  Showing yellow leaves.   But the spring in late April showed some signs of letup that gave plants some breathing room.  Now in Mid May, they seems to be back to normal.  Seedlings are happily sprouting from the warm heat.  Peonies are really happy this year, so are the lotus plants.  There seems to be more grape flowerings this year on each new vine.  I want to see how successful the corns and melons will be this year.   
 
Well, that's what I wanted to blog, then, the month of May is gone and is already June.  So, I will write about June garden.  Thus far, this week's high temp of 91'F in Sacramento vs 65'F in Moss Landing are quite a contrast, but plants seemed to enjoy the extra long sun light and thriving.

I stayed one night at Captain's Inn at Moss Landing.  It was an interesting BnB two story house with no host; with Digital Key entry.  I was assigned a First Mate's room that is on 1st floor right next to the entry way  right before the stair way.  The house is really cute.  I don't mind living there. When I ventured outside to check out the garden, I found various cactus plants with whimsical surreal colors, and growing vibrantly at cold temp.  
So, here they are, my photo journal.
Interesting about the this Avocado plant is that it was grown from a seed of a mini size avocado.  After killing three of my Haas Avocado trees of which one of them did even produced Avocado, this one is live or die treatment.  I did not light up Christmas light during the winter like I did for others.  I barely wrapped it to keep from frost bite.  It seems to live.  I don't want to give it too much hope, but the natural rain water from this year is definitely helping all plants grow healthier than tap water.
My spring 'Pineapple' princess.  It is not a pineapple princess, but I gave it a name as such.
Waking up from winter.  Removed most of the coverings.  Chopped off the whipping cherry tree that never grew branches downward.  After a few years of babying it - finding out that it fruit instead of whipping the branches, and when the birds won't even touch its cherries growing and it just shade a lot of them on the ground to make a mess, it's time to go.
The fine leaf maple tree really loved the winter and spring rain.
Peonies are poppy up.




Lotus leaflets are showing up.
This particular peony changes color to light orange as its prime time is wanning.  Other peonies kind of becomes rusty and dry up and fades away.




My Purple rose.

Indoor Crysanthamum.

See the color change.

Roses


Corns
Melons and Veges
Chili Peppers
Peonies




Time for this Peonies to say adieu. 


Time for the other Peony to show off.

Corns are feeling okay in this planter.  Hope they will grow happily.
These are melons
The ball Cactus wants to show off, too.

Maybe I over seeded in one small container, but I am not a farmer.  Just wanted to see what happens.

I don't know what happened, but maybe it got a some weeder sprayed on it that I was using when the wind blew.  I hope it is a not a fungus disease.  I have never seen it happened on any of my lotus plants.

Yay! It bloomed.

What a Beauty!My gardens solar light night show.
Plants found at Moss Landing, Captain's Inn.
Backyard view





Back home, my garden was okay.  The sunflower has skyrocketted to 6 ft.
Wow! My Cherimoya tree got flowers!!! 
Found out on the internet that the flower can change from male to female?  Had to hand polinate?



This is the Female.  As it is explained on the web, it hardly has enough room for a bee to visit.

That's all for now.  Will post more updates later.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?