Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Stir Fried Kale with Garlic and Jasmine Rice with 5 Grain Cereals

My vegetable gardens are doing quite well despite of the inclement weather we are having.  Hailstorm, thunderstorm, wind storm in May provided all the natural nutrients that all our plants needed.  Kale is one of the new crop in my garden.  My friend gave a few grown plants.  I took them home and pluck them right into my raised bed vege gardens.  I have never tasted Kale before, and I did not know what to expect.  Beside not knowing how it taste, I didn't know how to cook it either.  But I sure did not want any garden insects, if any, to get a head start on it.   So as soon as they were about 7 inches tall, I cropped them, washed them, stemmed them, chopped them, chopped some garlic, stir fried with clarified butter. Stir fry 30 seconds or so to finish cooking.  The grey-green leaves turned into beautiful dark green color.   The garlic really complimented its slightly bitter taste and butter mellowed it out smoothly.  That's when I said, "Cook Rice!"  This time, the mixture is Jasmine Rice with Bob's Red Mill brand, 5 Grain Cereals.  I quickly sauteed chopped onions in clarified butter, added washed jasmine rice (well strained), added 5 Grain Cereal (whole grain wheat, rye, barley, oats, triticale, and flaxseed),  some white wine, chicken stock.  Stir.  Cover and simmer to cook till the liquid is quite absorbed.  Open the lid.  Fluff and stir.  Taste for doneness.   Add, cooked Kale to mix.   Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?